Build simple CRU test program against ReadoutCard libraries

Hi,

I’m trying to put together some instructions for detector teams which are starting testing their electronics.
The “User story” is something like:

I have my CC7 freshly installed FLP with a CRU inside and I connect my electronics to it. I want to write my own test suite to run a bunch of tests and I want to use the ReadoutCard library.

I took the following snippet from Pascal presented here as an example:

// 1. We include the library
#include <ReadoutCard/ChannelFactory.h>

void foo() {
  using namespace AliceO2::roc;
  std::shared_ptr<BarInterface> bar0;

// 2. To open a BAR, we can use the card's PCI address or
  // serial number. Here we open BAR number 0
  bar0 = ChannelFactory().getBar(PciAddress("42:0.0"), 0);
  bar0 = ChannelFactory().getBar(12345, 0);
  bar0 = ChannelFactory().getBar(-1, 0);

// 3. Read register at index 0
  bar0->readRegister(0);

// 4. Write 123 to register at index 0
  bar0->writeRegister(0, 123);

// 5. No doc strings in C++, refer to Doxygen
}

I’ve installed the alisw-ReadoutCard+v0.8.8-2.x86_64 RPM and loaded the package environment aliswmod enter ReadoutCard/v0.8.8-2.

But I get the following error:

In file included from /opt/alisw/el7/GCC-Toolchain/v6.2.0-alice1-4/include/c++/6.2.0/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bits/c++config.h:495:0,
             from /opt/alisw/el7/GCC-Toolchain/v6.2.0-alice1-4/include/c++/6.2.0/bits/stl_algobase.h:59,
             from /opt/alisw/el7/GCC-Toolchain/v6.2.0-alice1-4/include/c++/6.2.0/bits/stl_tree.h:63,
             from /opt/alisw/el7/GCC-Toolchain/v6.2.0-alice1-4/include/c++/6.2.0/map:60,
             from /opt/alisw/el7/ReadoutCard/v0.8.8-2/include/ReadoutCard/Parameters.h:9,
             from /opt/alisw/el7/ReadoutCard/v0.8.8-2/include/ReadoutCard/ChannelFactory.h:10,
             from roc-my-test.cxx:1:
    /opt/alisw/el7/GCC-Toolchain/v6.2.0-alice1-4/include/c++/6.2.0/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bits/os_defines.h:39:22: fatal error: features.h: No such file or directory
    #include <features.h>
                  ^

Is there a way of doing this without going via aliBuild ?

Thanks,
Vasco

I suspect you are missing build-essential rpm or something similar? features.h is system stuff, IIRC.

features.h is in glibc-headers package that is an dependency of glibc-devel package.
Thus, installing glibc-devel will fix the error. There may be some other missing -devel packages, though.

We, indeed, do not ship our own glibc along with our compiler, so @maogino’s solution will probably work. Could you let us know?

On a side note, we might think of shipping it in the future, but we have to think it through.

I have an item in my wp3 presentation about it. Maybe we can discuss it tomorrow ?

1 Like

This was discussed at today’s WP3, a solution will be provided.

Thanks, I was able to find a set of instructions that work.
Once the instructions for detector teams are finalized, I’ll post the link here for reference.

And here’s the link: https://alice-o2.web.cern.ch/node/175

1 Like