Problem with building O2 for QC

Dear Experts,

I am having a problem with building O2 (virtual CentOS 7). I follow the readme at:

https://github.com/AliceO2Group/QualityControl/blob/master/doc/QuickStart.md

I am at the step 5 in the Setup (aliBuild build O2Suite --defaults o2). It crashes (I guess) at the configuration. The relevant log files are at:

https://cernbox.cern.ch/index.php/s/qz0bw45taTR9Rfn

This is my first attempt to build the O2, please, be patient… :slight_smile: Thank you!

Best regards,
Marek

Dear Marek,

Welcome aboard !
I have meetings this morning but I will have a look at your logs today for sure.
Cheers

I see that it is the compilation of O2 that fails.

• Which OS and which version do you use ?
  • Was the installation of O2 ok in step 1 ?
    aliBuild init O2@dev --defaults o2 ; aliBuild build O2 --defaults o2
  • What is the exact command that you used ?

Thank you

Hi Barth!

I use CentOS Linux 7.5.1804 ( it is virtual machine in macOS High Sierra 10.13.6).

During the step 1 (requirements) I had one problem with installation of matplotlib package - I had installed 1.2 version already, the installation wanted to install version 2.0.2 and there was some problem with dependencies (I cured it with ignoring dependencies at installation - dr. google). I am sorry, I can not send you the exact commands in this issue, because the os crashed and I do not have them in history for some reason…

I used the command:
aliBuild build O2Suite --defaults o2

It is a virtual machine I want to use purely for QC, so I do not have any problem to delete it completely, if the problem gets complicated…

Thank you for taking care.
Marek

Thank you for your reply.

So you were able to build O2 in step 1, right ?

I am following the procedure myself in order to see if there is a general problem.

Are you around in case of need ?
Cheers

Now I see, my step 1 was installing the prerequisites for CentOS7. I followed this page:

https://alice-doc.github.io/alice-analysis-tutorial/building/prereq-centos7.html

Then I jumped to step 2 at:

Did I skip something? I am not at CERN right now and I might be at the computer this afternoon only (I am not at work today).
Thank you very much!

Cheers,
Marek

I have updated the instructions (quickstart) because I don’t think that they were clear, the numbering was wrong and it was not precise.

Would you like to give it a new try ? I hope it works this time.

Hi Barth,

I successfully managed to install (I hope) all the neccessary software. I followed the quickstart page. Thank you very much! The problem was indeed in not building the O2 soft before. Also I had to increase and resize the partition because 30 GB is apparently not big enough… :slight_smile:
I encountered another problem though: I want to run the recommended test via command: o2-qc-run-basic , but it did not work out:

[O2Suite/latest] ~/alice $> o2-qc-run-basic

[INFO] Using config file ‘json://home/mbombara/alice/sw/slc7_x86-64/QualityControl/master-1/etc/basic.json’
2019-10-23 20:39:21.185010 QC infologger initialized
2019-10-23 20:39:21.185063 QC version 0.19.2
[INFO] policyName : tst-raw
[INFO] Configuration loaded :
[INFO] >> Task name : QcTask
[INFO] >> Module name : QcSkeleton
[INFO] >> Detector name : TST
[INFO] >> Cycle duration seconds : 10
[INFO] >> Max number cycles : -1
Error 65543: GLX: Failed to create context: GLXBadFBConfig
o2-qc-run-basic: /builddir/build/BUILD/glfw-3.2.1/src/input.c:493: glfwSetMouseButtonCallback: Assertion `window != ((void *)0)’ failed.
Aborted (core dumped)
[O2Suite/latest] ~/alice $>

Do you have any idea why this failed? I guess it is a different topic now. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Marek

Hi,
Ok, so we are progressing.
The error is related to the DPL gui. I am pretty sure that if you add “–batch” as argument to the executable, it will run (batch = no gui).
Could it be because you run inside a VM ? And as the instructions tell you to install glfw then it tries to run the gui but it does not work from within the VM ?

Could you try to run glxgears and glxinfo ?
Cheers,
Barth

Hi Barth,

you are right: with --batch it works. Also glxgears works (nice animation), glxinfo works as well (text ntuple in terminal). Glfw is intstalled. I can try to install on mac, if you think VM will have problems with glfw.

Cheers,
Marek

ok, so at least you can run the qc.

I was expecting glxgears to fail. It means that the VM can run GL animations but not the DPL GUI. @eulisse any idea ?

Cheers,
Barth

Hi Barth,

do you have any update about the issue? What I can do is to use non-VM OS. I am running now High Sierra, but the installation failed. I can see the supported system is now Mojave, so I can upgrade to Mojave and try to install it. What do you think? Thank you.

Cheers,
Marek

Hi,
Yes, if you don’t mind installing Mojave, I would go for it and we can pick up from there.
Cheers,
Barth