Problem with configurable parameter

Dear experts,

A configurable parameter has been implemented for the MFT Geometry builder, “MFTBase”, which is already on dev branch of O2 via PR# 3194. To test the parameter during the development it was only used to view the Geometry. Now, running a full simulation + reconstruction workflow one get errors related to a missing o2sim_Kine.root. Oddly, this error shows up even when MFTBase is set to default value, as in the case bellow:

> [O2/latest-dev-o2] ~/simtest $> o2-sim -m MFT  -e TGeant3 -g fwmugen --configKeyValues 'MFTBase.minimal=false' -n 100
> [INFO] Running with 2 sim workers
> [INFO] CREATING SIM SHARED MEM SEGMENT FOR 2 WORKERS
> Spawning particle server on PID 8562; Redirect output to serverlog
> Spawning sim worker 0 on PID 8564; Redirect output to workerlog0
> Spawning hit merger on PID 8565; Redirect output to mergerlog
> [INFO] Process 8562 EXITED WITH CODE 0 SIGNALED 1 SIGNAL 6
> [FATAL] ABORTING DUE TO ABORT IN COMPONENT
> [INFO] Process 8564 EXITED WITH CODE 0 SIGNALED 1 SIGNAL 6
> [FATAL] ABORTING DUE TO ABORT IN COMPONENT
> [INFO] Merger process 8565 returned
> [INFO] Simulation process took 0.781139 s
> Error in <TSystem::ExpandFileName>: input: $ROOT_DYN_PATH/libRIO, output: $ROOT_DYN_PATH/libRIO
> Error in <TSystem::ExpandFileName>: input: $ROOT_DYN_PATH/libCling, output: $ROOT_DYN_PATH/libCling
> Error in <TFile::TFile>: file o2sim_Kine.root does not exist

For completeness, when running the same simulation in serial with o2-sim-serial I get an o2sim.root with MFT hits, but afterwards o2-sim-digitizer-workflow fails to output any digits whenever MFTBase has been set on the command line. Can someone shed some light here, please?

Thanks in advance.

Do you see the same problem when not using --configKeyValues or is it strictly related to its presence?

In any case, please use only o2-sim for the moment. The serial version has not yet been converted to use the new naming scheme.

I see the problem only when using --configKeyValues for the MFTBase parameter. No problem when using --configKeyValues for setting BoxGun parameters, for instance.

I’ll take a look. It might be a linking problem (the parameter not known to the simulation).

So far, I can’t reproduce the problem. It works as expected on my CC7 system. What system are you on?

I am running on Ubuntu 18.04, actually on a docker container. @manso also confirmed this problem on his system. His logs also shows the errors with $ROOT_DYN_PATH, which has been showing up for a week or so, even when running root:

[O2/latest-dev-o2] ~/simtest $> root -l
Error in <TSystem::ExpandFileName>: input: $ROOT_DYN_PATH/libRIO, output: $ROOT_DYN_PATH/libRIO
Error in <TSystem::ExpandFileName>: input: $ROOT_DYN_PATH/libCling, output: $ROOT_DYN_PATH/libCling
Error in <TSystem::ExpandFileName>: input: $ROOT_DYN_PATH/libMathCore, output: $ROOT_DYN_PATH/libMathCore
root [0]

Looking at the serverlog for o2-sim, I see [FATAL] Inexistant ConfigurableParam key: MFTBase.buildBarrel, while o2-sim-serial runs fine (but, again, it fails to produce digits afterwards) - see logs and outputs here. Thanks.

The problems with $ROOT_DYN_PATH are not related I think (I also have them).
Could you try to do a ldd o2-sim-serial as well as ldd o2-sim and send me the output?

Done. both at https://cernbox.cern.ch/index.php/s/2we95mSVb7WlgKU

This confirms my assumption: libO2MFTBase appears for o2-sim-serial but not for o2-sim.
However, this should not be the case as the link settings are exactly the same for both of them in the CMake file.

@laphecet: Do you have a clue what goes wrong here? How can we force cmake/linker to link against the listed dynamic libraries? Looks like ubuntu is doing some optimization here.

Nothing obvious comes to my mind, no.
I can try to investigate (I do have a Ubuntu VM in some drawer…) but it’ll take some time.

It’s ok. I’ll try to setup an Ubuntu container myself. @pezzi: Since you - in any case - work on containers, I would suggest to use the production system CC7.

Hi @swenzel, I started with CC7 container, however I could not find a quick way to rebuild O2:

1. aliBuild on cc7 takes a new minutes checking for updates on all packages before reaching O2 and doing a quick job there;
  2. ninja fails to compile on the build directory. I tried alidock, a bare CentOS 7 installation, and a CentOS 7 container, all with the same outputs.

Thus I resorted to Ubuntu on Docker, were both listed methods work and are quick. I hear confirmation from @manso that he is running Kubuntu on a bare installation, thus this is not a Docker-related issue. Thanks for checking.

Thanks @laphecet for solving this issue with PR 3258.