AliBuid and MC packages

I am trying to install MC generators packages, starting with Pythia …. So far I have a set of questions:

1. Why does aliBuild not find pythia8 (there is no recipe available in alisw/alidist also there is an pythia8 package in alisw). So what is the recipe to build pythia8

2. I have build pythia6 …. Fine. When I alienv enter pythia6/latest-release, in the new environment pythia6 does not show nor in the PATH (fine there might be no bin) nor in DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. Do I have to set the environment myself ?

3. I have then build aligenmc … Fine and it is found in PATH after alienv enter aligenmc/latest-release but when running aligenmc it tells me that agile-runmc is missing

4. I have then build agile (why aliBuild build AGILe and not aliBuild build agile since agile is the name of the recipe in alisw/alidist?) During the build I encountered 2 problems:
    4.1 compilation errors in lhapdf which I managed to correct for …. What do I do to commit these corrections ?
    4.2 configuration error
    configure: error: Can’t build Python extension since /Users/schutz/software/alice/sw/osx_x86-64/SWIG/3.0.12-1/bin/swig is not compatible with /usr/bin/g++. Get a newer SWIG version!
    How do I deal with this ? Do I need need to install SWIG myself ?

That is for the time being, thank you for your assistance … Yves

1 Like

Hi Yves.

1. The pythia8 package is just called pythia. So aliBuild build pythia should do it.

2. In my case, this works as expected:

alienv enter pythia6/latest-release
    Currently Loaded Modulefiles:
    1) BASE/1.0                 2) pythia6/latest-release
    Use alienv list to list loaded modules. Use exit to exit this environment.
    [pythia6/latest-release] ~/alisw_new $> echo $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH 
    /Users/swenzel/alisw_new/sw/osx_x86-64/pythia6/428-alice1-4/lib
    [pythia6/latest-release] ~/alisw_new $> 

So can you please re-check?

3. Seems to be a real bug. Probably the dependencies need to be fixed.

4. Can you point out how you compile these? Is this with the standard run2 configuration or using --defaults o2 ? I believe we check compilation of these on linux but not on Mac. You could consider using alidock as a quick workaround (https://github.com/alidock/alidock/wiki).

Maybe someone from the generators team has additional information?

Thanks Sandro

1. ok this works fine … For consistency I suggest to the authors to call the recipe pythia8 instead of just Pythia

2. does not work for me
    HomeYS:alice schutz$ alienv enter pythia6/latest-release
    WARNING: System Integrity Protection is enabled. You might run into environment problems if you do not disable it.
    Currently Loaded Modulefiles:

1. BASE/1.0 2) pythia6/latest-release
    Use alienv list to list loaded modules. Use exit to exit this environment.
    [pythia6/latest-release] ~/software/alice $> echo $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

[pythia6/latest-release] ~/software/alice $> echo PATH /Users/schutz/software/rootbuild/bin:/usr/local/opt/gettext/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Library/TeX/texbin:/opt/X11/bin [pythia6/latest-release] ~/software/alice >

1. indeed …

2. I let aliBuild do the job: aliBuild build AGILe
    4.1 I solved the fortran issue in lhapdf5 and send the corrections to the conveners
    4.2 I do not have a solution except changing the recipe for SWIG requesting a newer solution

Continuing with point 4.2
I switched to the latest version SWIG 4.0.1: this does not solve the pb.
g++ version is 4.2.1

configure: error: Can’t build Python extension since /Users/schutz/software/alice/sw/osx_x86-64/SWIG/4.0.1-1/bin/swig is not compatible with /usr/bin/g++. Get a newer SWIG version!

alidock works perfectly with Pythia … but building Herwig creates a problem: building Rivet (why do we need Rivet at this stage?) crashes