Alien.py not working on Ubuntu 20

With the current version of alienpy I get the following error when trying to do for example alien_ls:

oschmidt@lenovo:~$ alien_ls Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/oschmidt/alice/sw/ubuntu2004_x86-64/xjalienfs/1.2.9-local3/bin/alien_ls", line 5, in <module> from alienpy.alien import main File "/home/oschmidt/alice/sw/ubuntu2004_x86-64/xjalienfs/1.2.9-local3/lib/python/site-packages/alienpy/alien.py", line 204, in <module> class AliEn: File "/home/oschmidt/alice/sw/ubuntu2004_x86-64/xjalienfs/1.2.9-local3/lib/python/site-packages/alienpy/alien.py", line 222, in AliEn def wb(self) -> websockets.client.WebSocketClientProtocol: File "/home/oschmidt/alice/sw/ubuntu2004_x86-64/xjalienfs/1.2.9-local3/lib/python/site-packages/websockets/imports.py", line 96, in __getattr__ raise AttributeError(f"module {package!r} has no attribute {name!r}") AttributeError: module 'websockets' has no attribute 'client'

My operating system is Ubuntu 20.04. I tried it also in a slc7 docker container and there I had no issues. Has anyone else noticed this error and can provide a solution?

Cheers,
Ole

@oschmidt see yesterday discussion on alice-project-analysis-task-force@cern.ch (subject: Error with alien.py and other related commands)

The quick solution until i do a fast release is to replace your alien.py file with this one https://github.com/adriansev/jalien_py/blob/master/alienpy/alien.py

The reason is an unfortunate combination of newer python (3.9 in ubuntu vs 3.6 in centos7) import procedure, the module upstream being in mid redesign, and me having the internal need to specify the variable typing a la c++ in python

Thanks Adrian with your alien.py it indeed works again on Ubuntu