AliPhysics build fails due to c++ internal compiler

Hi All,

I am having an issue building AliPhysics on macOS Big Sur. I have seen other issues occur with o2, which are fixed by building with one core using “j -1”, but this solution does not seem to fix this issue. The full log is included here https://cernbox.cern.ch/index.php/s/zVZYTjZChVtXiiJ, but a snippet is included below.

Cheers,

Hannah

[ 50%] Generating G__complexDict.cxx, …/…/lib/libcomplexDict.rootmap
Scanning dependencies of target G__complexDict
[ 50%] Building CXX object core/clingutils/CMakeFiles/G__complexDict.dir/G__complexDict.cxx.o
[ 50%] Built target G__complexDict
[ 50%] Generating dummy.cxx
Scanning dependencies of target complexDict
[ 50%] Building CXX object core/clingutils/CMakeFiles/complexDict.dir/dummy.cxx.o
[ 50%] Linking CXX shared library …/…/lib/libcomplexDict.so
[ 50%] Built target complexDict
Scanning dependencies of target MetaCling
[ 50%] Building CXX object core/metacling/src/CMakeFiles/MetaCling.dir/rootclingTCling.cxx.o
[ 50%] Building CXX object core/metacling/src/CMakeFiles/MetaCling.dir/TCling.cxx.o
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:678962: Warning: end of file not at end of a line; newline inserted
c++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See https://gcc.gnu.org/bugs/ for instructions.
gmake[2]: *** [core/metacling/src/CMakeFiles/MetaCling.dir/TCling.cxx.o] Error 4
gmake[2]: *** Deleting file `core/metacling/src/CMakeFiles/MetaCling.dir/TCling.cxx.o’
gmake[1]: *** [core/metacling/src/CMakeFiles/MetaCling.dir/all] Error 2
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

How much memory do you have on your machine? I assume you use -j 1, not -j -1 as you wrote, right?

Hi Giulio,

Yes, I am using -j 1. I have plenty of memory left in the system (40 GB) but Bong Hwi suggested to me that this may be fixed by adding swapped memory. I am also using docker which places strict limits on the amount of memory and swapped memory used.

I have adjusted these and have tried to build again. I will write again here as to whether or not this fix is successful :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Hannah