Need basic help with patplayer.py

Dear all,

I would need some basic help to properly set-up the CRU readout chain for MCH.

At the moment I have been able to properly reset our SAMPA chip using the following command:

python ./patplayer.py -i 2:0.0 --idle 0xffffffffffff --sync 0xff0000fffff --reset 0xfffffff00000 \
  --sync-length=32 --reset-length=32 --sync-delay=0  --trg-rst

To proceed further, I would need to be able to send SYNC and PHYS triggers, either manually or at a fixed frequency. Looking at the documentation, I see the following option in patplayer.py (I’ve not yet upgraded to the latest version of the tools):

"--no-sync-at-start", help="Enable/disable automatically sending sync pattern when runenable goes high"

Does it mean that a SYNC signal is automatically sent when DETECTORS/daq_start.sh is executed? If not, what else is needed for this?

Also, is it possible to set-up the patplayer to send physics triggers at a fixed frequency?

I have also seen this other thread about RST and SYNC triggers for the TPC tests, and I am wondering if I’d run into the same problems as described there with the idle pattern, unless I update my fw/sw…

Thanks a lot in advance.

Dear Andrea,

Is there a specific reason why you don’t use the latest version? If not I would suggest to do so, because many things have changed since then (there’s no daq_start.sh anymore for example, fixes etc.).

For sending physics triggers with the patternplayer, you need to set the SYNC pattern to 0x10 beacuse bit 4 is the physics trigger in the TTCPON payload. (you can’t send a different SYNC pattern and physics triggers at the same time; physics trigger is basically your SYNC pattern) Select the same bit (4) as trigger for the SYNC pattern with the option
–sync-trg-sel 4
Then you can use the CTPemulator/LTU to send physics triggers periodically (which will trigger the patternplayer to ‘forward’ it as a pattern)

Best regards,
Tuan

Dear all this topic should be moved in the CRU category … I created one topic there

please continue the discussion there