O2 building fails on CentOS7

Dear experts,

The O2 building is failed in CentOS7 with followed errors.
The gcc version is 7.3.1, and I followed the aliBuild instruction.

aliBuild init O2@dev --defaults o2
aliBuild build O2 --defaults o2

/home/jinjoo/alice/sw/slc7_x86-64/boost/v1.75.0-1/include/boost/geometry/algorithms/detail/expand/interface.hpp:92:21: error: no type named ‘type’ in ‘struct boost::geometry::strategies::expand::services::default_strategy<boost::geometry::model::box<boost::geometry::model::point<double, 2, boost::geometry::cs::cartesian> >, boost::geometry::model::box<boost::geometry::model::point<double, 2, boost::geometry::cs::cartesian> >, boost::geometry::cartesian_tag>’
>::type strategy_type;
^~~~~~~~~~~~~
gmake[2]: *** [Detectors/MUON/MCH/Mapping/Impl3/CMakeFiles/O2lib-MCHMappingImpl3.dir/build.make:147: Detectors/MUON/MCH/Mapping/Impl3/CMakeFiles/O2lib-MCHMappingImpl3.dir/src/CathodeSegmentationImpl3.cxx.o] Error 1

This is the full log in cernbox.
https://cernbox.cern.ch/index.php/s/6Z4FONpk1dOufkm

Do you have any clue to solve this porblem?

Best regards,
Jinjoo

@laphecet can you please have a look? Maybe something changes with 1.75.0?

Which version of AliceO2 are you actually trying to compile ? Some changes were indeed needed for Boost 1.75 but they were merged 2 weeks ago (Compilation fixes by davidrohr · Pull Request #5557 · AliceO2Group/AliceO2 · GitHub) thanks to @drohr
Also, @eulisse as far as I can tell the CI does actually build fine on CC7, right ?

Yes, actually you are right. Maybe Jinjoo is using a tagged release though? No, actually no… @jseo can you check which O2 commit you have?

I checked the tag using ‘git tag’, and the latest tag is ‘nightly-20210310’.

Hello, I have the same problem. the latest tag is nightly-20210312

AFAIK the git tag command returns the full list of tags, and it’s not what we are after here. What we need to cross-check is what commit your local checked-out O2 version is at : e.g. what does the git log -n 1 command return from within your O2 directory ?

The output is that as below.

commit c702fb4c417d4b2e59bb10344776b233fd519e60
Author: Giulio Eulisse 10544+ktf@users.noreply.github.com
Date: Fri Sep 4 13:08:13 2020 +0200

In my case (Ubuntu20) it returns:
tariq@tariq-VirtualBox:~/alice/O2$ git log -n 1
commit c702fb4c417d4b2e59bb10344776b233fd519e60 (HEAD -> master, origin/master)
Author: Giulio Eulisse <10544+ktf@users.noreply.github.com>
Date: Fri Sep 4 13:08:13 2020 +0200

hum, this does not look like the dev branch but more like the master branch
(as you see it’s a quite old version, from September last year, while the dev basically has commits almost every day)

could you :

• cd O2
  • git checkout dev
  • git log --oneline --format="%ad %h %s" --date=short -n 10

and check that you indeed have (very) recent commits ?

Then an aliBuild build O2 --defaults o2 should succeed.

thanks. it seems to work (compiling since 2 hours). Now for my understanding: I downloaded O2 last week via aliBuild init O2@dev --defaults o2. How comes that i have the O2 version from Sept. 2020?

No idea.
Just to be sure I’ve just tested it myself and I do go get the dev branch as intended :

> aliBuild init O2@dev --defaults o2
> cd O2
> git branch
* dev

Could it be your aliBuild or git versions that are too old ? (just guessing here, @eulisse might have better insight). Here’s the ones I’ve used for my test :

> aliBuild version
aliBuild version: 1.7.1 (osx_x86-64)
> git --version
git version 2.24.3 (Apple Git-128)

Now it works! Thanks a lot!