O2sim_grp.root missing

Dear Experts,

I am trying to play with raw and digits files from the simulation and for this I need o2sim_grp.root file which should be created using o2-sim. I worked for me months ago, now it does not. I guess the problem is on my side, but I do not know what to change (I use O2 dev on Centos8). I am sending the output from o2-sim:

[O2Suite/latest-o2] ~/o2simulation/try4 $> o2-sim -n 10
[INFO] This is o2-sim version 1.2.0 (c2d5cf418)
[INFO] Built by ALIBUILD:v1.11.2, ALIDIST-REV:ca19c91b4eb869ba1222625f6b368b77572ba794 on OS:Linux-4.18.0-394.el8.x86_64
[INFO] BINDING TO ADDRESS ipc:///tmp/o2sim-notifications-417722 type pub
[INFO] Running with 20 sim workers
[INFO] CREATING SIM SHARED MEM SEGMENT FOR 20 WORKERS
Spawning particle server on PID 417725; Redirect output to o2sim_serverlog
Spawning sim worker 0 on PID 417727; Redirect output to o2sim_workerlog0
Spawning hit merger on PID 417728; Redirect output to o2sim_mergerlog
[INFO] Process 417727 EXITED WITH CODE 0 SIGNALED 1 SIGNAL 6
[INFO] Problem detected (or child received termination signal) … shutting down whole system
[INFO] TERMINATING 417725
[INFO] TERMINATING 417727
[INFO] TERMINATING 417728
[ERROR] SHUTTING DOWN DUE TO SIGNALED EXIT IN COMPONENT 417727
[INFO] Merger process 417728 returned
[INFO] Simulation process took 16.0917 s
[O2Suite/latest-o2] ~/o2simulation/try4 $>

Thanks!
Marek

Hi @mbombara

The local grp files now should be accessed via CCDB-like directory structure. Better run simulation via $O2_ROOT/prodtests/sim_challenge.sh which takes care of this.

Cheers,
Ruben

Hi @shahoian

I have tried: $O2_ROOT/prodtests/sim_challenge.sh -s pp -n 10 -f sim but there is no grp file in output. I need the o2sim_grp.root because it is an input to my next command: o2-sim-digitizer-workflow -b . I am sorry I am not expert on this… Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Marek

I guess you don’t have an ALIEN GRID token (certificate), which was recently made a requirement. Without this, the simulation crashes, as in your case. You can get the token for instance via alien.py ls (assuming you have correctly installed your ALICE GRID certificate in $HOME/.globus).

@mbombara by running simply o2-sim you are simulating with runNumber=0 and for the current timestamp, in this case you are not guaranteed to have a complete set of CCDB objects (and you anyway need alien-token as Sandro wrote). sim_challenge imposes predefined run / timestamps which does have full set of parameters (you can override the run number, see options). And it also generates the local grps as well as create GRP/… CCDB-like hierarchy.
You don’t need o2sim_grp local file to run o2-sim-digitizer, all needed objects are loaded from the CCDB or from the this GRP/… directory in case of redirection with --condition-remap..., see CCDB_intro - Google Präsentationen

That was it, thank you, @swenzel !

Thanks @shahoian for the explanation and for the link, they are very useful to me!