Where to put new files?

Dear Barth, Piotr

I think that from the MFT we are ready to start adding code to the official QC release.
The first step is that we want to add a data-producer for MC data which feeds the generated data to QC in read-out frame chunks. This reader allow us to do control tests and develop the infrastructure in a controled way.

The point is that we want to develop a couple of data-producers, then at least one task for each producer (e.g. digits, clusters, tracks, …) and each task will have its related JSON file.

I wonder where to put all this info. Right now, in our local installation, we have the producers in the QualityControl/Framework/src, the JSON files in QualityControl/Framework and the tasks in QualityControl/Modules/MFT.

It seems to me that if every detector populates QualityControl/Modules/MFT with JSON files and the QualityControl/Framework/src with their data producers, these files are going to get somehow crowded.

Have you thought about putting these files (producers, JSON) in the detector directories? if yes, where exactly? Should we create a directory for JSON file? and put the producer in the src file? Any comments are welcome.

Note that if that your recommendation is along these lines, we will need some help to set up the corresponding make-related files …

Once we set this correctly, we want to submit officially the new code to QC. What is the proper procedure to do this?

thanks a lot

guillermo

Hi Guillermo

Have you thought about putting these files (producers, JSON) in the detector directories? if yes, where exactly? Should we create a directory for JSON file? and put the producer in the src file? Any comments are welcome.

Indeed, it would be preferrable to put all your code and config files in your module, i.e. QualityControl/Modules/MFT. As far as I know, apart from TPC, other detectors did not put files in the Framework. Alternatively you could put the producers and their config files, if any, in O2.

You can create a directory for the JSON files or just put them in the top MFT directory. The producers should go in the src directory.

Note that if that your recommendation is along these lines, we will need some help to set up the corresponding make-related files …

Sure, we can help you. If you look at the existing CMakeLists.txt it might be possible to decipher where to add your source and config file. I am available to help you if needed.

To submit your code, you should create a Pull Request toward the QC repository. Is it something you are familiar with or not ? There is a bit of information here : QualityControl/doc/ModulesDevelopment.md at master · AliceO2Group/QualityControl · GitHub
Let me know if you need more info.

cheers,
Barth

Hi

thanks a lot for the prompt response. We will move the code to MFT and see how it goes with the compiling. Regarding the submission to QC, it will be done on January. In case of problems, I will post my questions here.

thanks again and happy holidays!

guillermo